Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Macguyver eat your heart out!

I made up my mind this morning.  Either I was going to fix the PC sync port on my cheap hotshoe flash, buy an adapter from flashzebra.com or break the flash and buy an even cheaper slave.  Well, I fixed it.  It was easier than I thought.  I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but I did it.

I removed the shoe or foot or boot or whatever you want to call the piece of cheap plastic located at the bottom of the flash.  Anyway, once I took that off, I had to find out where the 3.5mm plug contacts the metal.  I figured that if it fired at one time, something had to come loose. So, I removed the little screws that secured the metal connectors to the plastic shoe and proceeded to bend them in the direction I thought they should go. It was a good guess. After sanding down the plastic where the 3.5mm plug goes, I gained about a millimeter or two more of insertion into the flash. The connection was solid.  It felt like the plug was catching on the metal in a good way. Only thing left to do at that point was to put the batteries back in and fire it up. I connected it to the camera, turned them both on, hit the shutter, and YES, I AM THE MAN!!! It worked.


I'm not always this boring (maybe), but this is all I did today, and I'm cool wit that. Peace.

I know this picture is totally unrelated to anything that I said, but so what. She's my wife, and I didn't have a picture of the formerly stupid, broken but still cheap flash I fixed today. Tomorrow might be better...

Oh yeah, about this pic, I shot it. I shot it with a CANON (I love Canon) 40D and 28-135 underrated IS.  I used a 550EX as master and a 420EX as slave (obviously).  The 550ex was positioned to the left of her with no diffuser.  The 420 was on the right with a white DIY foam-core bounce-card (I used hyphens 'cause this stupid thing was telling me that I mispelled da too werdz) attached.   She was portraying Mary Magdalene in a production called 'Bad Girls of the Bible'. You can see all of the cast members here: http://www.colinpattersonphotography.com/Events.html

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment on my blog. Very nice that you were able to fix the flash!

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU think?